Our Founding Members
On August 8, 1944 five persons of faith and vision organized the Mozart Baptist Church at 114 North Mozart Street, they were Rev. & Mrs. Henry McCrory, Mrs. Dora Olief, Mrs. Willa Mae Taylor and Mrs. Henrietta Harrison.
In 1970 the congregation relocated its operation to the edifice of the First Congregational Church of Chicago under the pastorate of Dr. Arthur D. Griffin, former president of the Church Federation of Greater Chicago.
In 1971 the congregation was officially affiliated with the Illinois Conference of the United Church of Christ and changed its name to FIRST CONGREGATIONAL BAPTIST CHURCH OF CHICAGO; because of denominational purposes that name was changed to FIRST BAPTIST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF CHICAGO in 1977.
Copyright 2012 - First Baptist Congregational Church of Chicago